Fouts Field Track And Field
The headquarters for the track and field and cross country programs are located at Fouts Field, and the track offices are on the east side of the stadium.
Fouts was the dream of North Texas athletic director Theron J. Fouts, who was football coach, athletic director, dean of men and founder of the track and field program. The stadium opened in 1952 and was originally called Eagle Stadium, but the name was changed after Fouts retired in 1954.
Football moved on to Apogee Stadium in 2011, but the stadium, with its all-weather track, still serves as the practice and competition site for the track and field team and is the site of the North Texas Invitational track and field meet, held annually in the spring. The stadium seats 30,500, making it one of the largest track-only stadiums in the country.
The team headquarters houses the coaches’ offices, locker rooms, meeting rooms and an auxiliary athletic training center.
The North Texas track program pre-dates Fouts, and has a history that began in 1921 and includes the first Texan in history to set an individual world record. Wayne Rideout set a world record of 3:00.3 in the three-quarter-mile run in 1938 at the Princeton Invitational in Princeton, New Jersey.
The program captured its first team championship in 1923, winning the Texas Intercollegiate Athletic Association title. North Texas also has eleven Lone Star Conference, four Missouri Valley Conference, and two Sun Belt Conference men’s championships and three Sun Belt Conference women’s titles.
North Texas cross country has won seven men’s conference championships and one women’s league crown.